Table of Contents
Unit I: PROMOTING CHILDREN’S HEALTH: HEALTHY LIFESTYLES AND HEALTH CONCERNS.
1. Children’s Well-Being: What It Is and How to Achieve It.
2. Daily Health Observations.
3. Assessing Children’s Health.
4. Caring for Children with Special Medical Conditions.
5. The Infectious Process and Environmental Control.
6. Childhood Illness: Identification and Management.
Unit II: KEEPING CHILDREN SAFE.
7. Creating High-Quality Environments.
8. Safety Management.
9. Management of Injuries and Acute Illness.
10. Maltreatment of Children: Abuse and Neglect.
11. Planning for Children’s Health and Safety Education.
Unit III: FOODS AND NUTRIENTS: BASIC CONCEPTS.
12. Nutrition Guidelines.
13. Nutrients That Provide Energy (Carbohydrates, Fats, and Proteins).
14. Nutrients That Promote Growth and Regulate Body Functions (Proteins, Vitamins, Minerals, and Water).
Unit IV: NUTRITION AND THE YOUNG CHILD.
15. Feeding Infants.
16. Feeding Toddlers and Young Children.
17. Planning and Serving Nutritious and Economical Meals.
18. Food Safety.
19. Nutrition Education: Rationale, Concepts, and Lessons.
Looking Ahead. . . Making a Difference.
A. National Health Education Standards.
B. Monthly Calendar: Health, Safety, and Nutrition Observances.
C. Federal Food Programs.
D. Children’s Book Lists.
E. Nutrient Information: Fast-Food Vendor Websites.