Table of Contents
I. PEOPLE AND FORESTS: WHY THE SCIENCE OF FOREST ECOLOGY DEVELOPED.
1. Sustainability of Forest Ecosystems: The Problem of Human Population Growth.
2. Development of Forestry and Forest Ecology.
II. ECOSYSTEM AS THE BASIC UNIT OF FOREST ECOLOGY.
3. Ecology and the Ecosystem Concept.
4. Production Ecology: The Transfer and Storage of Energy in Ecosystems.
5. Biogeochemistry: Cycling of Nutrients in Ecosystems.
III. ECOLOGICAL DIVERSITY AND THE ECOLOGICAL STAGE: PHYSICAL DETERMINANTS OF THE ECOLOGICAL PLAY.
6. Ecosystem Classification: The Ecological Foundation for Sustainable Forest Management.
7. Ecological Role of Solar Radiation.
8. Temperature as an Ecological Factor.
9. Wind: Ecological Effects of Atmospheric Movements.
10. Water: The Material that Makes Life Possible.
11. Soil: The Least Renewable Physical Component of the Ecosystem.
12. Fire: A Pervasive and Powerful Environmental Factor.
13. Patterns of Biotic Communities along Environmental Gradients.
IV. BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY: POPULATION, COMMUNITY, AND GENETIC DETERMINANTS OF THE ECOLOGICAL PLAY.
14. Population Ecology: Study of the Abundance and Dynamics of Species Populations.
15. Community Ecology.
16. Genetic and Evolutionary Aspects of Ecosystems: Adaptation and Evolution.1
V. TEMPORAL DIVERSITY: THE ECOLOGICAL PLAY IN WHICH ALL ASPECTS OF ECOSYSTEMS CHANGE OVER TIME.
17. Ecological Succession: Processes of Change in Ecosystems.1
18. Understanding and Emulating Natural Forest Disturbance: A Template for the Management of Succession and Temporal Diversity?
VI. SPATIAL DIVERSITY: THE LANDSCAPE REVISITED.
19. Ecosystem Management and Landscape Ecology – The Ultimate Focus in Forest Ecology.
20. Environmental Issues in Forestry: The Role of Ecology in the Management of the Ecological Play.
VII. APPLICATION OF ECOLOGICAL KNOWLEDGE IN THE MANAGEMENT OF FOREST ECOSYSTEMS.
21. Models and Their Role in Ecology and Resource Management.1
22. Sustainability and Renewability of Natural Resources, and Implications for Forest Management.
23. Concluding Statement.