Current, succinct, and straightforward, ESSENTIALS OF THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT, 5E uses a nontechnical approach to deliver complete one-semester coverage of business law and its environment. Cases are summarized by the authors and integrated throughout chapters. Miller explains legal issues and court decisions with minimal legal jargon. Hands-on applications help students strengthen their critical thinking skills as well as think through ethical dilemmas before they confront them in the workplace. The book also explores how traditional law has been applied to issues involving the Internet and how the laws of other nations deal with topics discussed in the text. In addition to Cases and Case Problems featuring issues from legal disputes in 2013 and 2014, the fifth edition includes an all-new chapter on Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy, new Managerial Strategy features, new Preventing Legal Disputes features, and more.
Table of contents:
Unit I: THE FOUNDATIONS.
1. Business and Its Legal Environment.
Appendix to Chapter 1: Finding and Analyzing the Law.
2. The Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
3. Business Ethics.
4. Business and the Constitution.
Unit II: THE PUBLIC ENVIRONMENT.
5. Administrative Law.
6. Torts and Cyber Torts.
7. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
8. Intellectual Property Rights.
9. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
10. International Law in a Global Economy.
Unit III: THE COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT.
11. Business Organizations.
12. The Formation of Traditional and E-Contracts.
13. Contract Performance, Breach, and Remedies.
14. Sales, Leases, and Product Liability.
15. Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy.
Unit IV: THE EMPLOYMENT ENVIRONMENT.
16. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
17. Employment Discrimination.
Unit V: THE REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT.
18. Environmental Law.
19. Antitrust Law and Promoting Competition.
20. Investor Protection and Corporate Governance.