Table of contents:
1. Introduction to Biological Concepts and Research.
UNIT ONE: MOLECULES AND CELLS.
2. Life, Chemistry, and Water.
3. Biological Molecules: The Carbon Compounds of Life.
5. Membranes and Transport.
6. Energy, Enzymes, and Biological Reactions.
7. Cellular Respiration: Harvesting Chemical Energy.
9. Cell Communication.
10. Cell Division and Mitosis.
UNIT TWO: GENETICS.
11. Meiosis: The Cellular Basis of Sexual Reproduction.
12. Mendel, Genes, and Inheritance.
13. Genes, Chromosomes, and Human Genetics.
14. DNA Structure, Replication, and Organization.
15. Gene Expression: From DNA to Protein.
16. Regulation of Gene Expression.
17. Bacterial and Viral Genetics.
18. DNA Technology: Making and Using Genetically Altered Organisms, and Other Applications.
19. Genomes and Proteomes.
UNIT THREE: EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY.
20. The Development of Evolutionary Thought.
21. Microevolution: Genetic Changes within Populations.
23. Paleobiology and Macroevolution.
24. Systematic Biology: Phylogeny and Classification.
UNIT FOUR: BIODIVERSITY.
25. The Origin of Life.
26. Prokaryotes and Viruses.
28. Seedless Plants.
29. Seed Plants.
31. Animal Phylogeny, Acoelomates, and Protostomes.
32. Deuterostomes: Vertebrates and Their Closest Relatives.
UNIT FIVE: PLANT STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION.
33. The Plant Body.
34. Transport in Plants.
35. Plant Nutrition.
36. Reproduction and Development in Flowering Plants.
37. Plant Signals and Responses to the Environment.
UNIT SIX: ANIMAL STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION.
38. Introduction to Animal Organization and Physiology.
39. Information Flow and the Neuron.
40. Nervous Systems.
41. Sensory Systems.
42. The Endocrine System.
43. Muscles, Bones, and Body Movements
44. The Circulatory System.
45. Defenses against Disease.
46. Gas Exchange: The Respiratory System.
47. Digestive Systems and Animal Nutrition.
48. Regulating the Internal Environment: Osmoregulation, Excretion, and Thermoregulation.
49. Animal Reproduction.
50. Animal Development.
UNIT SEVEN: ECOLOGY AND BEHAVIOR.
51. Ecology and the Biosphere.
52. Population Ecology.
53. Population Interactions and Community Ecology.
55. Biodiversity and Conservation Biology.
56. Animal Behavior.